Inspect Your Entire Home
There are several steps you can take to combat allergies. It is important to clean your house regularly. Try to keep your windows and doors closed as much as possible to prevent pollen from seeping inside. Additionally, ask guests to remove their shoes before entering your home to avoid tracking allergens into your living space. You can also consider investing in a smart robotic vacuum to keep your floors free of dust.
Optimal HVAC Systems
You’ll want to take a look at your HVAC system as well. At LifeStyle Homes, we pride ourselves on building homes made with top-of-the-line filtration systems, and that’s why we include an air-purifying MERV 11 filter with ultraviolet light in every LifeStyle HealthSmart home.
And while your air filters will be replaced before you take ownership of your LifeStyle home, it is important to inspect them regularly after you’re settled to ensure they are clean and functioning at peak capacity. You can also set a reminder on your smartphone to clean or replace air filters each month.
When it comes to setting your thermostat, you’ll want to keep the temperature between 68 and 72 degrees Fahrenheit and be sure to maintain the relative humidity level no higher than 50%. This is easy to control with a smart thermostat. Just program it once, and you’re good to go.
When cleaning, be sure to dust efficiently. Don’t just run a feather duster over your items. Rather, use a damp microfiber cloth to trap and remove particles. Don’t forget to dust ceiling fans, blinds, curtains, light fixtures, and all the nooks and crannies as well.
Here are some additional cleaning tips to keep in mind.
- Vacuum area rugs to remove dust and pet dander.
- Choose wood, metal, or leather furniture.
- Opt for washable curtains made of synthetic fiber or cotton, and swap horizontal blinds for washable roller shades.
- Clean your refrigerator often in order to get rid of mold.
- Use a vented exhaust fan or a whole-home smart fan to dissipate fumes and moisture.
- Scrub cabinets and counters with water and detergent and keep all food in sealed containers.
- Wash dishes daily and clean the sink and faucets.
- Keep trash in an insect-proof container and take out the bag daily.
- Use disinfectant on sinks or showers.
- Immediately replace moldy shower curtains or bathmats.
- Use an exhaust fan—like the automatic humidity-sensing exhaust fans included in every LifeStyle home—to reduce moisture while using the shower or tub.
- Encase pillows and mattresses in dust-mite-proof covers. Replace wool or feather bedding with synthetic materials.
- Wash your bed linens in hot water every week.
- Get rid of any tabletop furnishings, knickknacks, or magazine piles that easily collect dust.
- Use a smart air purifier to remove pollutants.
- Keep your furry pet friends out of bedrooms.
If you’re ready for a sustainable, environmentally friendly home with maximum savings and minimal allergens, LifeStyle Homes delivers. Contact us today. Our friendly, professional, and experienced staff would love to answer your questions or show you a model home.